From Our History
Revision as of 12:55, 11 May 2015 by Pbarnaby (talk | contribs) (→‎Professors of Divinity)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Chair of Divinity had been founded in 1620, following the separation of the roles of Principal and Professor of Theology. It soon began to attract private donations and bequests. Between 1618 and 1634, the Town Council received 8,475 merks from ten separate donors towards the upkeep of the Chair. These sums, however, were dwarved by the funds bestowed by Bartilmo Somerville in 1639.

Professors of Divinity