Construction of James Clerk Maxwell Building, 1966

From Our History
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Work on first phase of the James Clerk Maxwell Building at King's Buildings began in 1966.

The 1960s saw massive expansion of the the Faculty of Science at King's Buildings to accommodate a surge in student numbers. The first major addition to the campus was the James Clerk Maxwell Building, designed by Sir Basil Spence (1907-1976)‏‎. Phase 1 of the building housed the following departments (which moved in to the building in stages between 1969 and 1976):

It also became home to the Edinburgh Regional Computing Centre from 1968. It currently houses Edinburgh University's School of Physics and Astronomy and School of Mathematics.


  • Ronald M. Birse, Science at the University of Edinburgh, 1583-1993: An Illustrated History to Mark the Centenary of the Faculty of Science and Engineering 1893-1993 (Edinburgh: Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Edinburgh, 1994)