Church of Scotland Training College
Formal teacher training began in Scotland in the early 19th century and was initially controlled and funded by the Church of Scotland, in keeping with the close connection between Kirk and school that had characterized popular education since the Reformation. Established in 1837, the Church of Scotland Training College was originally located in Johnston Terrace, Edinburgh, and additional premises opened in Chambers Street in 1879. Trainee teachers were required to be proficient in a number of subjects. Both men and women took examinations in English Language and Literature, Arithmetic, British History, Singing, Drawing, French, Mathematics, Geography and Religious Knowledge. Female trainees also had to proficient in Pianoforte, and Industry which included Sewing and Domestic Economy, and their teaching was mainly in Infant and Common Schools. Male trainees also had to be proficient in Political and Physical Geography, Physical Science and School Management. The College was headed by a Principal.
Following the Disruption of 1843, a rival Free Church of Scotland Training College was set up, eventually establishing its premises in Moray House, Edinburgh. In 1905 the Scottish Education Department took teaching training out of the Kirk's hands, recommending the establishment of Provincial Committees and of four provincial training centres. Thus in 1907 the Church of Scotland Training College and Free Church of Scotland Training College merged to become the Edinburgh Provincial Training Centre, with its seat at Moray House.