Curators of Patronage
Prior to 1858, patronage was exercised by the Town Council. The Universities (Scotland) Act 1858 transferred the patronage of seventeen chairs to seven Curators, three elected by the University Court and four by the Town Council. The Curators now have the patronage of sixteen Chairs and a share in the patronage of the Chairs of Agriculture, Civil Law, Constitutional Law, Conveyancing, Humanity, Scots Law, and Economic Science. They hold office for three years.