Building of Reid Concert Hall, 1859
In February 1858, the foundation stone was laid by the Lord Provost and began on building the Reid Concert Hall, which now houses the oldest custom-built museum of musical instruments in the world.
The Reid Concert Hall originally housed the Music School. It was designed by David Cousin (1809-1878) according to acoustic specifications drawn up by John Donaldson (1789-1865), Professor of Music, 1845-1865. Opening in 1860, the school consisted of a class-room with an attached museum and library. The class-room was used for both teaching and recitals. Music moved into new premises at Alison House in 1964, but the Reid Concert Hall has remained in use both as a musical venue and as Museum, which now houses over 1,000 musical instruments.