German has been formally taught at Edinburgh University since 1894, when Otto Schlapp (1859-1939) was appointed Lecturer. The Chair of German was instituted in 1919 but not filled until the appointment of Schlapp as Professor in 1926. Between 1970 and 1981 there were two Chairs of German. In 1995 the remaining Chair was renamed the Walter H. Bruford Chair of German. It has remained vacant since the retirement of Dietrich Scheunemann (1939-2005) in 2004. In that year Sarah Colvin (1967- ) was appointed to the newly created Eudo C. Mason Chair of German which currently also lies vacant.