Faculty of Divinity
The Principal, under the honorary title of Professor of Theology, originally taught Divinity students. However, in 1620, a Chair in Divinity was established and Andrew Ramsay was the first Professor. Effectively this was the start of the Faculty of Divinity.
In January 1935, negotiations and legislation entailed by that Union (which reconstituted the national Church of Scotland by the merger of the United Free Church and the existing Church of Scotland) led to the merger of the Faculty and New College, with operations moved to the New College site.