Reginald Nathaniel Levitt
Born in Edinburgh in 1913, the son of Henry J. Levitt, J.P., proprietor of Woodhouse Furniture Stores, Reginald Nathaniel Levitt was educated at Edinburgh Academy, 1921-32. Part of a well-known Edinburgh Jewish family (his father oversaw the building of Edinburgh's Synagogue), he went on to study at Oxford for one year before returning to Edinburgh to study at the University. He first matriculated in session 1933/34 and graduated MA (1937) and LLB (1939). He was also a member of the Fencing Club and its Captain, 1938-39.
After graduation, Levitt served in the Royal Army Service Corps during WW2. He was mentioned in despatches and awarded the MBE. In 1963, he was appointed Honorary Colonel in the R.A.S.C. (Territorial Army). From 1962-66, he was convener of the pensions committee of the Royal British Legion, Scotland and he served as its Chairman 1968-71, for which service he received the OBE. He was Honorary Colonel Comandant of the Royal Corps of Transport, 1974-78.
From 1951, he served as Sheriff Substitute of Caithness, Sutherland, Orkney and Zetland at Wick and, from 1955, as Sheriff Substitute of Ayr and Bute at Kilmarnock.
In 1947, he married Sheila Oppenheim, whose brother, Meyer, was married to his sister Violet. He died in Ayr on 11 December 1982, following a long illness.
Obituary, University of Edinburgh Journal (June 1983)
The Scotsman (newspaper), 19 Feb 1936 and 7 Aug 1947