Opening of New Medical School, 2002
In the 1990s it became apparent that the Victorian Royal Infirmary buildings in Lauriston Place, Edinburgh, were no longer adequate for a modern teaching hospital. The Scottish Secreteary Donald Dewar (1937-2010) authorized a joint project between private finance, the local authorities, and the University to create a large modern hospital and new medical campus at Little France.
The Chancellor's building is now the Faculty of Medicine's main teaching facility, also housing lecture theatres, research laboratories, a new medical library, and administrative offices. It is home to the Scottish Centre for Regenerative Medicine, the Euan MacDonald Centre for Motor Neurone Disease Research and the Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic.