John Stevenson (1695-1775)

From Our History
Jump to: navigation, search

John Stevenson (1695-1775) was Professor of Logic and Metaphysics at Edinburgh University from 1730 to 1774. He was an innovative teacher, replacing scholastic logic with the philosophy of John Locke, and introducing the study of belles-lettres and literary style into the teaching of rhetoric. He bequeathed his book collection to Edinburgh University Library.

Archives