John Gregory (1724-1773)

From Our History
Jump to: navigation, search

John Gregory (1724-1773) was Professor of the Practice of Physic in the Faculty of Medicine of Edinburgh University from 1766 to 1769.

Gregory was born in Aberdeen on 3 June 1724. He was the youngest son of James Gregory (d. 1731), Professor of Medicine at King's College, Aberdeen, and the grandson of the mathematician James Gregory (1638-1675). His early education was under care of his brother, James Gregory, who had succeeded his father at King's, and his cousin Thomas Reid, the metaphysician. In 1741 he began medical studies at Edinburgh University and on completion of these he studied at the University of Leiden, 1745-46. In 1746 he was appointed Professor of Philosophy at Aberdeen University where he lectured on mathematics, moral philosophy and natural philosophy. In 1749 Gregory resigned the Chair and devoted himself to medical practice, moving to London in 1754. While there he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society and his success in London seemed assured. However, on the death of his brother, he returned to Aberdeen, succeeding to the Chair there, and lectured on and practiced medicine until 1764 when he moved to Edinburgh. In 1766 Gregory was appointed Professor of Medicine at Edinburgh University on the resignation of Professor John Rutherford (1695–1779). Also in 1766 he was appointed as Physician to the King in Scotland. His publications include A comparative view of the state and faculties of man with those of the animal world (1766) and Observations on the duties and offices of a physician, and on the method of prosecuting enquiries on philosophy (1770).