Free Church of Scotland Training College
Formal teacher training began in Scotland in the early 19th century and was initially controlled and funded by the Church of Scotland, in keeping with the close connection between Kirk and school that had characterized popular education since the Reformation. The first teacher training institution in Edinburgh was the Church of Scotland Training College, established in 1837 in Johnston Terrace.
Following the Disruption of 1843, the newly formed Free Church of Scotland decided to establish its own teacher training training college. Originally know as the Free Church of Scotland Normal and Sessional School, it officially welcomed students after considerable alterations, in 1848. All classes and teaching practice took place at Moray House, Edinburgh.
Subjects that the trainee teachers had to be proficient in included Religious Knowledge, English, Geography, History, Penmanship, Arithmetic, French, Vocal Music, Drawing, Algebra, Geometry, Latin, Domestic Economy, Greek Trigonometry, and School Management. Trainee Teachers were not only assessed by examination in subjects set, but also at their skill in teaching and in their general conduct.
In 1905 the Scottish Education Department assumed control of teaching training, recommending the establishment of Provincial Committees and of four provincial training centres. Thus in 1907 the Church of Scotland Training College and Free Church of Scotland Training College merged to become the Edinburgh Provincial Training Centre, with its seat at Moray House.
The former student society 'The Moray House Club' continued long after the college changed its name, status and structure.