Foundation of Faculty of Science, 1893

From Our History
Jump to: navigation, search

The Faculty of Science at the University of Edinburgh was formally established in 1893.

It was instituted under the terms of Ordinance No 31 of the Universities (Scotland) Act 1889 which had established the degree of B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) and D.Sc. (Doctor of Sience). Prior to this the teaching and conferring of degrees in scientific subjects had been split between the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Medicine, and from 1864 had been overseen by the Science Degrees Committee. Subjects taught under the new faculty included Natural History, Anatomy, Geology, Agriculture and Rural Economy, Natural Philosophy, Chemistry, Botany, Astronomy, Forestry, and Engineering. The first Dean was James Geikie (1839-1915), Professor of Geology, who was re-elected annually until he resigned his chair in 1914.

Other University Events in 1893-1894

Sources

  • Robert D. Anderson, 'The Construction of a Modern University', in Robert D. Anderson, Michael Lynch, and Nicholas Phillipson, The University of Edinburgh: An Illustrated History (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2003), pp. 103-207.
  • Sir Thomas Henry Holland, 'Introduction', in A. Logan Turner (ed.), History of the University of Edinburgh 1883-1933 (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1933), pp. xiii-xxx.
  • A. Logan Turner, 'The Faculty of Science', in A. Logan Turner (ed.), History of the University of Edinburgh 1883-1933 (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1933), pp. 239-83.