Foundation of Faculty of Music, 1894
The Faculty of Music of Edinburgh University was founded in 1893.
Music had been taught at Edinburgh University since 1839, when John Thomson (1805-1841) was appointed to a Chair endowed by General John Reid (1721-1807). Initially, however, the subject came under the aegis of the Faculty of Arts.
A scheme for a separate degree in Music was first submitted to the University Court under the professorship of Sir Herbert Stanley Oakeley (1830-1903). The Court was advised by the Chancellor, however, that its right to confer degrees in Music was doubtful, and it would be wise to await the Universities (Scotland) Act 1889 which would confer greater powers on the university. Following the passing of the act, a Draft Ordinance (Regulations for Degrees in Music) was submitted to the Music Committee for the approval of the new Professor of Music, Frederick Niecks (1845-1924). Following considerable revision by Niecks, the Ordinance was laid before Parliament by the University Committee and finally approved in January 1894. The Faculty of Music, thus constituted, consisted of the Principal, the Reid Professor of Music and up to three professors to be appointed by the Senatus Academicus.
Other University Events in 1893-1894
- Robert D. Anderson, 'The Construction of a Modern University', in Robert D. Anderson, Michael Lynch, and Nicholas Phillipson, The University of Edinburgh: An Illustrated History (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2003), pp. 103-207.
- Sir Thomas Henry Holland, 'Introduction', in A. Logan Turner (ed.), History of the University of Edinburgh 1883-1933 (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1933), pp. xiii-xxx.
- Matthew Shirlaw, 'The Faculty of Music', in A. Logan Turner (ed.), History of the University of Edinburgh 1883-1933 (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1933), pp. 284-303.