Faculty of Social Sciences

From Our History
Jump to: navigation, search

Edinburgh University's Faculty of Social Sciences was founded in 1963. It absorbed eight Chairs that had previously existed within the Faculty of Arts, and led to the creation of several new Chairs:

Following restructuring in 2002, the university's nine Faculties were reconstituted as three Colleges, while Departments were reorganised and replaced by Schools. The Departments previously contained within the Faculty of Social Sciences were incorporated in the following Schools of the newly founded College of Humanities and Social Science:

(The Department of Archaeology was transferred from the Faculty of Arts to the Faculty of Social Sciences in 1993. It is now part of the School of History, Classics and Archaeology in the College of Humanities and Social Science.)

Sources

  • Robert D. Anderson, 'The Construction of a Modern University', in Robert D. Anderson, Michael Lynch, and Nicholas Phillipson, The University of Edinburgh: An Illustrated History (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2003), pp. 103-207.
  • University of Edinburgh, The Edinburgh University Calendar (Edinburgh: The University, 1858-2004)