Faculty of Medicine

From Our History
Jump to: navigation, search

Although the Medical School can trace its origins back to the barber surgeons of Edinburgh in the early part of the 16th century, the Faculty of Medicine did not gain formal recognition within the University until 1726. During the 18th and much of the 19th centuries, Edinburgh was regarded as the leading medical centre in Europe and up to the present day can claim many distinguished medical practitioners and scientists among its alumni and staff.

After the late 19th century expansion, the academic departments in the Faculty of Medicine were distributed through the Medical School Buildings and the main teaching hospitals in the city of Edinburgh.

Following university restructuring in 2002, the Faculty of Medicine merged with the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine to become the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine.