Building of Reid Concert Hall, 1859

From Our History
Jump to: navigation, search

In February 1858, the foundation stone was laid by the Lord Provost and began on building the Reid Concert Hall, which now houses the oldest custom-built museum of musical instruments in the world.

The Reid Concert Hall originally housed the Music School. It was designed by David Cousin (1809-1878) according to acoustic specifications drawn up by John Donaldson (1789-1865), Professor of Music, 1845-1865. Opening in 1860, the school consisted of a class-room with an attached museum and library. The class-room was used for both teaching and recitals. Music moved into new premises at Alison House in 1964, but the Reid Concert Hall has remained in use both as a musical venue and as Museum, which now houses over 1,000 musical instruments.

Other University Events in 1859